By: David “Littlethunder” Liebler
Text: in the highest sense belongs to God (Isa. 6:3; Rev. 15:4), and to Christians as consecrated to God’s service, and in so far as they are conformed in all things to the will of God (Rom. 6:19, 22; Eph. 1:4; Titus 1:8; 1 Pet. 1:15). Personal holiness is a work of gradual development. It is carried on under many hindrances, hence the frequent admonitions to watchfulness, prayer, and perseverance (1 Cor. 1:30; 2 Cor. 7:1; Eph. 4:23, 24). (See SANCTIFICATION.)
Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the Lord your God.
8. And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the Lord which sanctify you.
1st peter 1; 15,16
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16. Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
What is and is not holiness?
Holiness I don’t believe invovles how big a hot you were to God’s house nor the brand name of a personas shoes or suit. Indeed is is not how high you may jump, how far you can roll on the floor. Furthermore holiness is not how loud a person preaches even if he yells and screams.
In fact most of the time when I read of men like Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and even Moses they seemed to be pretty mild mannered, ill clothed, of poor speech.
I tend to think that those men of God who take time every day to sit be really quite to meditate on Gods Word and ways seem to get further.
King David wrote in Psalm chapter one
1. Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
Then in Psalms 47:10 he writes
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
11. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge
In order for David to have written these things he had to have known something about them. In other words…. David in all hos troubles, trials, tribulations and storms in his life found the eye of the storm where there is peace . And that peace is with God. And wherever God is there is not only peace but you will find God’s glory and His holiness.
Look at Moses; Dear old Moses had it all. A man after Pharaohs heart. But he gave it all up for the truth.. However after God took him through the refining fire out came a man who would not only set the people free but as we have seen was called to write the very words God spoke to him.
The walk of holiness is a long road. And we face on this earth many storms; some are seemingly never ending. Yet you can rest a sure of this. In the eye of that hurricane or tornado in your life there is peace, love and the ability to have a sound mind.
Funny thing. So many people believe that holiness has something to do with how you dress, how much money you may or may not have. But this is far from the truth. For if holiness were found in earthly things then every man, woman and child found in the scriptures would have to be counted out. Remember it is the foolhish things of this world that confound the wise.
1st Cor 1:23-31
23. But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24. But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27. But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28. And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29. That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31. That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
The godly life, the holy life is there for the taking. A person simply needs to get past the storms of life; the tornados and hurricanes of life if you will and get into the eye of the storm where there is that peace that surpasses all understanding.
Let me share this with you in closing;
When God was about the create man, says a Jewish legend, He took into his counsel the angels that stood about His throne.
“create him not,” says the angel of justice, “for if Thou doest he will commit all kinds of wickedness against his fellow men; he will be hard and cruel and dishonest and unrighteous.” “Create him not.” Said the angel of Truth, “for he will be false and deceitful to his brother-man and even to Thee.” Create him not,” said the angel of Holiness, “ he will follow after that which is impure in Thy sight and dishonor Thee to thy face.”
Then stepped forward the angel of Mercy (God’s best beloved} and said: “Create him, our heavenly Father, for when he sins and turns from the path of right and truth and holiness I will take him tenderly by the hand and speak loving words to him, and then and lead him back to Thee.” — J.A. Clarks
God is calling you, my friend back, He is calling you back from the storms of life. From the life of sin and grief. He is calling you my beloved back to the eye of the storm where there is peace and holiness. That my friend is a place where no man of any nation can take you.
Now my question is to you this very moment; Are you willing to make the journey ?
Could this be your prayer today? I hope so.
“This is the secret of the holy
Not our holiness but HIM;
Jesus empty us and fill us
With Thy fullness to the brim.”